Friday, January 17, 2014

Think Outside the Loaf - The Epilogue




Every day I am tempted to quit, leave the bread-baking to skilled professionals who regularly deliver with dependable results. I am tired of risk and comparison and being evaluated based on the quality of my performance. Countless bakeries provide tasties much better than anything I could ever offer. Part of me wants to retire to the safe world where I am the expert consumer, not the dilettante creator exposed to failure and condemnation of the relentless critics on the inside as well as on the outside.

Just as I am about to throw in the kitchen towel, a chorus of troubleshooters starts pelting me with their suggestions. I think they are brilliant!

How about if we make some French toast with it… add some extra salt…? It’s been a long time since you made French toast…

Yea! That’s a great idea.  Or we can make some salted butter garlic bread…

Or even Italian seasoned croutons…we have all this Romaine and we are way overdue on Caesar salad…

You guys need to stop. I laugh.  I don't think we have enough sea foam bread to make all of that!

Well, you can always make another epic failure loaf...

I sit back in my chair, sensing gratitude bubbling up from somewhere deep down.

As much as I might be tempted, I don’t think my family is going to allow quitting as a viable option.


Rising to overcome? 

Yes.  

Quitting? 

Unequivocal no!

And I thank God for His grace and His marvelous creativity to scoop up all our epic fiascoes and with a little love and a little magic transform them into a feast for the mouth as well as for the heart.



It’s a wonder God didn’t lose his temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, he embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on his own, with no help from us! Then he picked us up and set us down in highest heaven in company with Jesus, our Messiah. Ephesians 2:4-6

No comments: