Monday, January 13, 2014

The Making of a Fiasco




This is the WORST  thing you’ve EVER made!

I admit I have a long rich history of culinary fiascoes of every kind, but I had to agree with the harsh pronouncement of my gastronomic connoisseurs.

It’s been over a year now since I started learning to bake bread.  During that year our family consumed with more or less grace (or grumbling) about a ton of misshapen loaves each reaching a different degree on the edibility scale.  General consensus has been that overall I am slowly improving. 

I know I am improving. I troubleshoot my failures and with each batch, I learn something new.  

Eventually the elusive crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside texture became a part not only of our table conversation but also consumption.  When words like Panera and Truckee Sourdough started being used in the same sentence with the homemade slices dripping with butter in our hands I begun daydreaming of a new career path beckoning me into a bright shiny future.

With my surprising success I sense that I am more comfortable, more at ease with the whole process.

Take mess for example.  It's what got me hooked to the bread-making in the first place, nutrition being just a side benefit. Sticky mess is my personal specialty. 

Sticking to the recipe is a  bit different story.  But with time I actually acquired taste for it, and  learned that even I can stick to a recipe like splatter of batter to a page. The recipe box has become my new best friend.

I also noticed that my confidence begun to rise along with the dough inside the bowl.  Here's one area - tiny as it may be - of my life where I am finally experiencing consistent, predictable success. No one can't beat that!


No comments: