Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Genesis of the Epic Fail




I am at a point where it is becoming increasingly clear to me that the whole thing isn’t  rocket science.  I have a simple, easy to follow recipe with just a handful of ingredients that yield apparently predictable results. Only an idiot could mess up…

So, how did you manage Mom? How did you manage this epic fail with just three ingredients?

I ask myself the same question.

How DID I manage?!!!

I know it’s not an excuse but I realize now that there were tiny red flags waving at the back of my mind at each step.  I could have stopped.  I could have evaluated.

But as they say, hindsight is 20/20. And now I get to see what I didn’t see back then.

There was rush.  It didn’t dawn on me until early in the afternoon that we were out of bread and I have just enough time to squeeze a batch so it’s ready for dinner. I knew that the timing was tight yet not impossible. But, I am a die-hard optimist.

There were interruptions.  The door bell rang just as I mixed the first couple of ingredients and then it rang again about ten minutes later. Interruptions are a way of life. We may avoid some but there will always be interruptions. I thought one little interruption won't make a big difference.    

My interruptions led to distractions. One conversation led to another which led to a really quick rabbit trail to the South Pole.

If there was any time to spare, it evaporated and the rush on the outside seeped into rush on the inside. 


Then, there was a swift glance at the splattered recipe page and even swifter dismissal. 

I already know it.  I’ve done this a million times. I don’t have time to read it - I've practically memorized it! I don’t need to double-check the recipe every single time to bake stupid bread! 

Apparently, I didn't memorize it as well as  I'd thought I had.

No comments: