Monday, January 20, 2014

Learn Something New Every Day



I want to learn to knit.  Announced my eleven year old, her big eyes glued on me with the determination of an old mule.

All these years I’ve been taking great pride in my Learn Something New Every Day motto.  Most of their young lives my children have heard me say the phrase, punctuating little and big surprises that pop up during homework, schoolwork, yard work, housework, reading, writing, music practice, you name it.

It’s a daily exercise of recapturing the wonder of living, the joy of discovery and a healthy dose of humility. I am a die-hard learner, sold-out on the process, age never a factor. There is always something new to unearth, something hidden to disclose. Life is a treasure hunt, and each day carries a promise of fresh findings, for the young and old alike. If mastery creeps up on you,  and you get stiff, and dogmatic and set in your ways, just switch a field and there awaits for you a whole new world to explore! It truly is a fail proof approach. 

There is absolutely no limit to this delightful journey….until, I guess, you reach your own personal absolute limit.

You want to learn to what?!!! I exclaim in horror.

I would like to learn to knit.  She repeats a bit confused by my deer-caught-in-headlights facial expression. 

You know, yarn and long needles, stitches and stuff.  She explains patiently, the mule gaze still on me.

You are serious about this?

Do I look like I am joking?

I guess not.

Well…?

I desperately scramble for a way out, but I see none. 

No comments: