Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Where Miracles Happen Every Day



One day he taps on the window and announces,

National Planting Day!

I jump out of bed and bolt through the front door, enough juice running through my body to need my usual two cups of java. 

The day I’ve been waiting for all along, and now it's here! I savor the moment - the pinnacle, the culmination of all things gardening, the simple transformative act which can turn any wasteland into Eden. 

I hop onto the passenger seat of his white truck and wait for him to fire up the engine. Field-trip to my favorite place on earth – our neighborhood Home Depot!

Where do you think you are going? he asks as he unloads the tools from the back of the truck. 

I look at him through the rolled-down window, thoroughly confused.
 
What do you mean, ‘where do you think you are going’? You said it’s the National Planting Day…

Soooo…

Well, we need things to plant
I enunciate the last word, getting a little impatient. When I want to plant something, I go to the place where miracles happen every day… Home Depot!

He shakes his head and if I didn’t know him, I would think he thinks I am hopeless.


We don’t need to go to Home Depot. We already have everything we need to make your garden a place ‘where miracles happen every day’ – I can’t tell whether he is mocking me or not - right here. 

With that, he taps his denim shirt pocket.

No comments: