Thursday, June 13, 2013

If You Want a Miracle Be a Miracle




I squint, still firmly planted in the passenger seat of his white truck, half-expecting to see the blooming perennials in his front pocket.

I roll out of the truck hitting the pavement like a cannon ball. In the palm of his hand there are several individually labeled small plastic bags, each one containing seeds of a different kind.

You gotta be kidding me…
 I groan. This is going to take FOR-E-VER! I don't even hear the whining tone I am so quick to point out whenever I detect it in my children. Why can’t we just go to Home Depot and get some of their ready-to-go, instantly blooming perennials…?  He seems deaf to both whining and negotiation, apparently lost in a world all of his own.

He picks up a seed and looks at me,

You want a miracle…? Here’s a miracle, right in front of your nose.

That's not a miracle, I object. That's just a seed…

Yes, that’s what you see… but inside this seed… hidden… inside this tiny, lonely, easily ignored and trampled upon, seemingly insignificant seed, there is packed away an entire universe bursting with life, and energy, fruits and flowers and more seeds… ready to explode, creating more universes all around ...

For a few moments I forget to breathe… Just listening to him talk, I feel like I am transported into the front row seat featuring the Creation of the Universe… 

But, before any of this can happen, he pauses as if remembering something, the little seed must fall into the ground… and die.


The seed is the Word of God. Luke 8:11

For you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God. I Peter 1:23

No comments: