Tuesday, June 11, 2013

From 60 mph to 0.06 in 6 Seconds




By my former supersonic standards, it feels as if my life has slowed down to a snail’s crawl. The rest of the world is still breaking the sound barrier, but its frantic pace, its self-important, grandiose ways are slowly losing their grip on me. 

From time to time, especially when I wander off into a far weedy corner of the yard, I still struggle with a thought that it is a lot more noble and praise-worthy, more exotic and exciting, or at least easier to change the world out there than transform my own back yard. But those thoughts dissipate like morning mist when the Gardener is near.

With him next to me, it’s as if the blinders have fallen off my eyes and I am beginning to see – really see – for the very first time. As these new worlds unfold I am becoming more aware of my noise-making ways that drown out the voice of the wind and the song of the rain. I feel a strange mixture of unspeakable gratitude and deep shame for overlooking the obvious for so long...I have so much to learn!

Each day I am getting more and more used to his pace – he is always working, and yet never rushing and somehow always resting. Even though he doesn’t wear a watch, he just knows the right time… for everything. 

At first it’s really hard to wake up each morning not knowing every dot, ampersand and underscore of my day. But I am learning to wait on his cue. Sometimes they are as subtle as the truckload of manure dumped on my driveway. Other times it’s as loud as the pitter-patter of tiny feet of a gecko on the St. Augustine grass.


But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works. Psalm 73:28

No comments: