Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Tearful Transitions





Transitions.  The season of letting go of what one had to learn to embrace. Big or small, all transitions are significant to the one going through them. Today,  I am an emotional basket case!  

For on this last day of elementary school for our son, I vividly remember how six years ago I drilled an unsuspecting sweet old Kindergarten teacher of our neighborhood public school as if she was taking her graduate final!

I, as his mom, felt that I needed to do everything humanly possible to ensure I could entrust my precious firstborn to these strangers. Allow them to influence his mind and woo his heart during the most formative, tender years of his young life. 


It was a step of faith for our family, a seemingly unsafe choice of apparently irresponsible parents.  But, for us, it was a torn-up, responsive yes to the nagging, gentle, patient, persistent sense that this is where we are supposed to be.  

Where Jesus invited us to join Him in the place where He was already at work. Regardless of what everybody else did or what anybody thought of us for the choice we were making.

As I reflect on these more than a thousand school days, writing thank-you letters to his teachers, I am profoundly humbled by the discovery of the numerous ways I am inclined to squeeze God into my tiny religious box, my containers too small and insufficient for His grand Presence and unfathomable ways.

I marvel at the surprises He orchestrates along our path, to help us realize we never ever outgrow learning, and in the school of life, the older we are, the more we realize how much further we still need to go.

And while we follow Him along the road He chose for us, the road we learn to embrace for ourselves, we discover that those strangers have become dear friends. And somehow what we struggled so much to embrace has become difficult to let go of.

There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven - a time to give birth and a time to die;... a time to weep and a time to laugh. Ecclesiastes 3:1-2, 4 

No comments: