Saturday, February 02, 2013

On Curious Nature of Library Fines




As much as I love libraries, I hate library fines.

I can have a perfectly wonderful day, like today – and then, Boom! In big bold italic RED letters, as if the message itself screaming at me from my laptop isn’t bad enough:

YOU HAVE OVERDUE FINES ON YOUR ACCOUNT.

What?!!! When…?!!! How the…?!!! I am always completely taken aback.  I am a borderline OCD gatekeeper of all public library exchanges that happen between within our household, frequent and voluminous as they are. I meticulously keep track of the dates, returning items usually well before they are due.  I am at the library so often people mistake me for an employee there! I never heard of an employee paying a fine. 

My first impulse is to contest the charges.  Those were renewable items. It’s really their fault for not sending me a timely reminder (they did, but I ignored it just like I do all the other e-mails landing in my Black Hole IN-box)

Then I want to bang my head against the wall for being such an idiot. And all this for…

Two bucks!

TWO stinkin’ dollars. 

I can afford to pay $2.  If push came to shove, I could even fork out $3.  I don’t need to terrorize poor old library lady and plead… plead what?!!!

Guilty as charged?

Then, I consider that our local public library system provides by far the best service in the entire world, actually delivering books to our doorstep, which, over the years have save me a bunch of mula. And now I am begrudging them for justly fining me this miserly amount that is helping a good cause, I love and wholeheartedly support?!!! 

What’s wrong with me?!!!

Hmmm…. Good question.

As much as I hate fines, I hate even more finding out the answer to this question. 

No comments: