Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Alphabet of Love - Y is for YES!



For the Son of God, Christ Jesus, who was preached among you by us…was not yes and no, but is yes in Him. For as many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yes; therefore also through Him is our Amen to the glory of God through us. 2 Corinthians 1:19,20

What a bold statement Paul makes here: As many as are the promises of God, in Christ they are ‘yes’. Considering the fact that God seems to enjoy making promises to His people, this is probably one of the most outrageous claims in the entire Bible.

Unlike majority of the people we know, God not only makes but also keeps His promises. God is the only one who is actually able to do that. The rest of us have little control over circumstances outside ourselves. Sometimes what we promise is triggered by a momentary impulse, and when the reality checks in, we find we are not in that place any more. Suddenly, I don’t really want to do what I said I would. I don't feel like it. It’s inconvenient.  I don’t have time. It’s not fun.  It means personal sacrifice.

Just as I like to choose what promises I keep and what ones I don’t, I also tend to cherry-pick the promises of God and hold onto the ones I like, and try to ignore the ones I don’t.  Take, for example, Jesus’ words in John 16:33:

These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.

To ensure there is no confusion in such statements, I have become quite proficient in using a mental highlighter and/or eraser.

However, Jesus doesn’t promise ‘peace’ every time, everywhere, at all cost.  Peace that is delivered to us like a UPS package. He promises His peace, which is found - in Him.  He is the package.  No Jesus.  No peace.  At least, not the kind of peace He is talking about.

But, He doesn’t promise peace only.  He also promises turmoil.

Trouble. Tribulation. Trials.  Tests.

Christians don’t seem to advertise this side of the equation as much. We don’t know what to do with it.  No wonder our message strikes the outsiders as out-of-touch and anemic.

Ironically, this is exactly what attracted me to Jesus in the first place.  This bold, robust invitation to life that fully embraces its apparent contradictions.  The life that doesn’t deny the reality of body, pain, joy, suffering… earth, heaven, hell...  The dynamic tension of life that is both here-and-now and not-yet complete.  The journey. With the only One who is able to reconcile the life’s extremes, because He lived – is living them - Himself.  

After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you...this is the true grace of God. Stand firm in it! I Peter 5:10,12

No comments: