Friday, February 22, 2013

I'm Crabby and I Know It!

Today's post is written by my friend Stephanie.  Besides being an amazing wife to her husband of 22 years, a great mom to her three super kids, a wonderful daughter-in-law, and many, many other things, she is also author of the blog Compelled . I hope you enjoy her simple, yet profound insights into a life of a hermit crab, and the light it sheds on all the hermit crabs of the world, regardless of how many legs we have...


Having recently added hermit crabs to our household menagerie, I've learned a few things about life from them. Here they are:



Just because I burrow under and keep to myself for a season, it doesn't mean I'm depressed or sad or anything of the sort. It just means I  need some time to myself.



Molting requires a feeling of safety. If I'm not comfortable with you, I will not be shedding my "skin" (it's actually an exoskeleton in a crab). That takes way too much vulnerability.


You can't judge me by my name. Hermits have a reputation of wanting to be left alone, but hermit crabs actually like the company of  other crabs. Just because I call myself a Californian, or a mom, or a wife, or a writer, or a Christian, you can't let your preconceived notions color who you think I am.  Get to know me, why don't you?


Sometimes I make a mess of things, but that's just the way I am. I don't mean any harm.


If you see me hanging on for dear life, don't just stand there, have the trampoline ready! But don't try to rescue me; sometimes I get in tight spots just to see what will happen. That's a faith adventure!

No comments: