Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Not So Fast... When Fasting Becomes Feasting



Today is Ash Wednesday, the official beginning of Lent. 

Two years ago I recklessly decided to join millions of others and participate in time-honored tradition practiced by millions of Christ-followers throughout the ages, all around the world. What transpired since then has revolutionized my walk with Christ beyond my wildest imagination.  Part of me wants to say,

Alright Lord.  I get it. This is enough. Let's resume with some smooth, predictable sailing from now on. None of this extreme fasting- prayer-repentance stuff. 

The other part, the glutton-for-punishment, the Lent-junkie-me, doesn't seem to be able to stop. 

For every time I think I 'give up' something for God ends up blowing up my microscoping view of Him. It broadcasts on large screen what an idiot I am when I think I can ‘sacrifice’ anything on the altar of this prodigious deity who didn’t spare His own Son but gave Him for us all.

Two years ago, to my absolute horror, I was led to fast from Facebook.  What an eye-opening experience!

Last year, I begun a whining fast.  I say ‘begun’ because I don’t think I quite ‘finished’ or ‘completed’ it.  Some people may say I need another whining fast, and I would be a complete fool to object. 

I don't know, maybe I should do whining fast this year? Or at least finish what I started...

But, something seems to tell me that this year’s fast is not so much about giving up, abstaining from or relinquishing something.  It’s as if this year I am supposed to…

…embrace…

…receive…

… accept...

what I haven’t truly

embraced...

received...

... accepted yet?

Hmmm... Now, that's a different take on the whole fasting topic... It's so weird it makes me wonder...

But, I am not in a rush.  I still have until the end of the day to figure this one out.

What about you? Is God tugging at your heart… whispering,

There is more… there is mooooooreeeee... ? 


No comments: