Friday, February 01, 2013

Alphabet of Love – V is for Voice



There are days when I feel completely overwhelmed by all the voices filling my ears. It usually starts before I am awake with,

Mom, we ran out of milk! or something along those lines.

Then flows in the incessant stream of voices generated by phone, Facebook, blogs, TV, radio, games… a loud backdrop to the ongoing internal dialogue inside my own head in response to all this chatter! No wonder I am tired all the time!

 Everyone claims to be an experts of some kind or another.  Everybody seems to have an important message to share.  Maybe it is important.  I am sure it is to them.   

And look at me here, writing this blog, just adding to the cumulative noise into our already noisy world! 

Why should you bother listening to me?!!!

I don’t even want you to listen to me. To my voice.  Sometimes even I don't want to listen to me!

What I really want for us is...
...to learn...
...to listen...
...to...
Him. 

Learn to fine-tune our ears to His frequency and hear His voice.

Today. 

Every day.

Beyond the noise. Beyond all other voices.

Today, if you hear His voice, to not harden your hearts…

Do you think it’s even possible to hear God speak?

                  Why would He bother to speak to you?

         But, what if it is possible…

                        What if He does bother…

In that case, I can’t think of any other voice more important to hear than His.

Not just mindless repetition of quotes and verses

Not just cut-and-paste spirituality of somebody else’s spiritual authority.

But GOD speaking to YOU.

To me!

For, when God speaks,

the blind receive sight

the lame walk

the lepers are cleansed

the deaf hear

the dead are raised up

the poor have the gospel preached to them. Matthew 11:5

I can’t think of anyone else with this kind of productivity, this kind of resume, no matter how many hits they get on their blog, no matter how many likes and shares they get on their FB page.

In fact, sometimes I feel that God’s silence accomplishes more – a lot more - than all the chatter of all the human voices combined.

No comments: