Sunday, June 24, 2012

Dangerous Discipline of Bible Reading 101

Isn't reading the Bible on your own dangerous? My spiritual authorities tell me I need help understanding my Bible, since it is such a difficult book to understand.

Yours truly,

Confused

Dear Confused,

Thanks for bringing this important issue up. Like with any other book, you really need to understand the intent of the author in order to understand the book he or she wrote according to his or her original purpose. Despite the fact that the Bible was written by many different individuals over the span of many centuries, the real Author of this book is God Himself! I think this is incredibly cool!

And, if I can be bold in stating this, fully aware that I am not God nor do I know all (or much at all, for that matter!) that is in God's infinite mind, He wrote this book as a self-revelation and invitation to His straying humanity to come to Him and know Him in a personal way since He Himself is a person.

Now, there are many other bonuses that come as a part of the package, but we need to keep the main thing, main thing - all the time!

So, in a sense, I agree with your spiritual authorities that we need help in understanding the Bible. But, the help we need to seek is from God Himself, not necessarily or exclusively from so-called spiritual authorities (there is a reason to this I hope to get to in subsequent entries).

Coming from decades of daily experience (I guess I am appealing to you through my 'spiritual authority'), may I suggest a good way to read your Bible? Here it is, the spiritual atomic bomb unveiled for all to see:


Dear God, How amazing that You desire me to want to know You! Please help me understand Your written Word in such a way that it enlightens my eyes and my heart so I can know You indeed and love and worship You as You deserve. Help me not to get bogged down by things I don't understand about You yet.

In the name of Jesus, who revealed You to us by His Word, His life, death and resurrection perfectly,

Amen

No comments: