Saturday, June 23, 2012

Blast from the Past - Bible, Important, Boring and Irrelevant

For the sake of continuity, I feel like I really need to share here an older post that depicts my earlier manner in which I used to read the Bible. As they say,

Confession is bad for reputation but it is good for the health of one's soul,

and since I care much more about my heart's health than about my reputation, here's a rerun of the post originally published on April 10, 2012 as a part of a larger series on Intergalactic Communication

Bible - Important, Boring and Irrelevant


Judging by the number of copies of the Bible I have in different translations, including some that showcase the languages I don’t even know or recognize, one would think I am quite an expert on the subject of listening to God. But, my 'expertise' has been largely focused on ferreting out a single verse, ripped out of its context that ‘speaks’ fireworks into my darkness. The same God who spoke Light into darkness, I gather, aims this little laser at me, fires it, and, Ka-boom! - the light switch is suddenly turned on, my ears tingle and I am mildly dizzy from the intensity of the revelation.

Wow! That was soooo COOL! Do it again, God!

Now, I am not saying that God can’t or doesn't speak and encourage us through this laser gun approach in communicating with His children. In fact, sad as well as embarrassed to admit it, but most of my Christian life has been sustained through such fireworks display. The array of verses has grown over the years, of course, but they read more like a Webster dictionary rather than a compelling, intriguing, heart-wrenching and sometimes hilarious true love story. If watching 24 doesn't seem like a lullaby in comparison, and Jack Bauer's life doesn't illicit an occasional yawn, could it be that there is something terribly wrong with the way I approach God's Word? Could there be a better way to listening to God speaking instead of playing this celestial laser-tag?

Glad to inform you, Mrs. His Writer, the answer to your question is unequivocal,

YES!

No comments: