Tuesday, June 12, 2012

CopyCat 007 - Filial Relationships... The Many Faces of Love Part 8

Rabbit Trail


Having said what I just did about daily devotionals, I must add, "Not that there is anything wrong" with daily devotionals, of course...

For I admit that I myself am somewhat addicted to one (Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest) which has been a part of my reading routine almost daily (see, I am a failing sinner just like everyone else!) for the past twenty or so years... One would think, having read through it at least twenty times, I must have it memorized by now (which, at least portions, I do). However, it is quite amazing and even more humbling to be daily confronted with the fickle feebleness of your own mental capacities that forget and keep on forgetting...

Besides My Utmost for His Highest, there are also few other 'daily spiritual crutches' to help us get out of bed that I would actually recommend, but most of those are unavailable on-line or as downloadable apps since they are way too old for most young folks to bother.... I guess such historical amnesia simply goes with the territory for the rootless generation (to borrow Henri Nouwen's term) that considers events that happened 23 minutes ago 'ancient history'...

I do admit personal bias here, for I come from a country that considers centuries old stuff which is tucked away in the dusty musty basement as 'grandmother's junk', while in the country I live in the same junk is viewed as priceless antiques for which people are willing to pay big bucks on eBay. But, to each its own... It's all just perishable stuff anyway...

Anyway, as I was saying... the daily devotionals can play a certain role in the development in our spiritual life. Here's for example how it works for me:

No comments: