Friday, May 31, 2013

M-Y-O-BeesWax



Both mortified and pleased by the fact that my neighbor is harboring mutant weeds, I begin to weigh my options and the best course of action to address this dangerous threat to the health and well-being of our neighborhood lawns. Suddenly,  I feel something wet and slippery smothering my face, the dribble of saliva covering the microscope.

Whatcha doing here, neighbor? Bob curiously tilts his head,  examining a strange sight of a middle-aged woman crawling on all fours with a microscope attached to her eyeball, smack in the center of his front yard, being licked to death by his equally curious dogs. I clear my throat with a nervous cough as I straighten out.

Well, Bob… it is my neighborly duty to inform you that I found some weeds… eight weeds to be more precise… growing in your yard. And three of them…

The frown on Bob’s face interrupts my speech and makes me pause for a second. He looks like he has something to say.

Hmmmm... Really?!!! I know he is just buying some time, realizing that he is in deep trouble with our HOA. He takes his turn to clear his throat, before he continues,

I do appreciate your attention to details… but don’t you have enough stuff to do in your own yard before you bother inspecting my grass, with a microscope, and count my weeds?!!  He sounds sincerely confused for the puzzled frown doesn't leave his face. Before I can answer, he adds,

By the way, my puppies were sick and I was a nervous wreck all day yesterday, so I baked a dozen chocolate cream pies. Would you like one?

With those words, my great neighbor Bob taught me that minding my own business is lesson number one in all gardening enterprises.

Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother’s eye. Luke 6:41,42


No comments: