Monday, May 13, 2013

Resurrection 101 - The Incredibly Credible Witness



Fortunately - or not - most of us don't live our lives under the harsh scrutiny and the demand of the dots and tittles of the law. Most of us live our lives outside the courtroom.  In the marketplace. On the street.  In the educational institutions. In the government offices. In homes and families where lines are blurred, where judgments are skewed.  Where a little cheating, and a little lying can be acceptable or excused, if not encouraged and flaunted - at least until we get caught. Until then, especially when compared to the next guy, I can look pretty good in my own eyes.

But, that doesn't change the unyielding standard of truth. Under its perfect standard, I fail miserably. If examined in the court of law, I would be the first one to throw my own testimony out for more reasons than one. And if you are honest, you would do the same with yours.

This is what sets Jesus apart, what makes Him so infinitely different from the rest of us. For He is called the Faithful Witness.  He doesn't present us with rumors and gossip about God.  His life never contradicted His words - even his enemies couldn't find a point of accusation to condemn Him! He never changed His testimony for personal gain or to avoid rejection... or even to make it more palatable for His audience, which in the end cost Him His life... He was a true witness - martyr - who testified to the truth both by His life and by His death.


And His last words to His disciples were,

You shall be My witnesses...

When I hear this, I am both terrified and irresistibly drawn to the unspeakable honor of it.  For I know that in my own strength, I am too weak, too cowardly, too self-protective and screwed up to qualify.  I need the supernatural power of God - I need God Himself to show up and make this true - through and through - in my own life. For He is the only one who can do it.

No comments: