Saturday, May 11, 2013

Resurrection 101 - A Reliable Hypocrite




Every time I sit inside a courtroom I am reminded of the demanding nature of justice and clear expectations that are placed on the witness in regards to his or her roles and responsibilities. I stare at the stern mirror of the law and cringe on the inside. I don't want to be examined under the glare of its searchlight!

Even though I rarely tell outright lies (I think I am too stupid for that) and find telling truth actually easier, this goes only up to a point. At that crucial point, when I start weighing what I could gain - or lose - by telling the whole unembellished truth, well... I may actually choose to opt out.  I may even decide to leave a very important, relevant detail on the front door if that would make my testimony more palatable or less messy for my audience... if it would spare me some grief or earn me a pat on the back.

There are times when I feel it is impossible for me to tell what happened without adding my own personal opinion or slant, as if the truth would cease to exist unless I add my own spin to the story.  The world is holding its breath, waiting for the emergence of yet another opinionator.  Why can't I be the next one? Not that I want to impress or draw attention to myself or anything like that....

As far as ascertaining my credibility.... I admit I am good at telling people what they should do and even how they should do it... but, doing the same myself....? Hmmm.... I never thought that it would be considered hypocritical to scream and yell at your kids that they should love and respect each other. That's just being a mom, right?

I quote the Bible as if it's my personal autobiography,  but when push comes to shove, I would have to admit that majority of my God-knowledge is second-hand at best. The regurgitated rumors about God from vaguely identified third-party sources do count as credible testimonials,... or do they?

So, when I put it this way, I realize I really can't trust myself. If examined in the court of law, I would be the first one to throw my own testimony out for more reasons than one.

And if you are honest, you would do the same with yours.

No comments: