Monday, March 02, 2015

Let It Go






The search for the forlorn ear buds ended the moment I slam the front door behind me.  Stubborn as yours truly may be, even I don’t consider going back the third time. 

When the rattling of the door blinds finally stops, I know this is it.  

My favorite lime-green ear-buds are given up.  

For Lent and For Ever. 

I feel like somebody just placed the heel of their foot in the pit of my stomach.

With no one else around, I find God an easy target to pick on.  I continue grumbling about how much I resent when a place of sacrifice is chosen for me. I remind Him that, Lent or not, I prefer sacrificing on my own terms rather than having my stuff randomly taken from me.

He is not responding to my ranting and raving.

I suspect He must have His ears plugged with perfectly fitting, annoying-noise-blocking lima-green iPod ear-buds. That used to be mine.

Still I am getting pretty exhausted with this one-sided conversation and begin wondering if, perhaps, I need to switch my playlist.

I start by telling myself that it could have been much worse.

What if God needed not only my lime-green ear-buds but the entire iPod – and everything in it – all the apps, all music, all photos which I still haven't backed up from two years ago! - the entire dang thing including the Lifeproof case?!!!

The thought sends shivers down my spine.

Indeed, it could have been much much worse!

Fully convinced by the imaginary scenario, I sigh a huge sigh of relief.  When I exhale, I think that not only did I finally let go of the ill-fated ear-buds but also of that big fat grudge against God. 

I can honestly say that I am genuinely thankful that God didn't need my iPod!

The great feeling last for the entire afternoon, until....

No comments: