Friday, February 13, 2015

The Place of Encouragement





These heaven-above-heaven-below, walking-on-clouds endless shallows are so mesmerizing, so inviting, so beautiful and safe and welcoming, my soul suddenly pops out, all cramped and wrinkled, from the confinement of its button-hole. 

It wants to park and live right here, sprawled out unashamed on this endless beach. 

Forever.

Not a single argument comes to my mind to argue against the fantastic idea.

Mom! MOM!!  The Mom-Hat lands on my head bringing me back to earth.

What?  WHAT??? I always think that M-O-M is a code word for some kind of dire emergency, not unlike the Morse S-O-S. What happened?? I yell without even trying. 

Nothing. Everything is fine. Look, there is a snowman!

I look up, and sure enough, there is a snowman, hat, 'broom', baseball bat and all, perched on the beach ahead of us.  

It most certainly is the ugliest Snowman I’ve ever seen, but somehow that doesn’t matter, because as we approach to inspect it, we are surrounded by a joyful crowd of thawed-out Canadians, who are so pleased that somebody – anybody – showed interest in their masterpiece. 

They laugh and point out all its special features as I take pictures. Then, we give them thumbs up and they wave enthusiastically as we continue on our way.  Their happiness is quite contagious and  trails behind us long after we can’t see either them or their creation.


In the wake of their joy a thought crosses my mind… 

...Sometimes, it might be as important or, perhaps, even more important to encourage other artists in their creative attempts, no matter how quirky, small and seemingly insignificant they may appear, than building up and showcasing your own perfect snowman. 

No comments: