Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Place of Reflection







I am always keenly aware that the ocean has depths. Those who know the ocean have deep respect for its depths. Some people may call it fear, but I think that reverence is a better word. 

The depths can be both exhilarating and terrifying. I discovered that even when my feet can't reach the bottom, and I am in way over my head, the ocean somehow never fails to support my full weight. And it does the same thing for the guy next to me, three times my size!

I am not the type who lingers long in the shallows. If I go to the ocean, I mean business. I don’t mess around with petty stuff.  Within minutes, I am off into the deep end.

But, today, the little hand guides me along the shallows, tiptoeing on the edge of the glistening robe, chasing lazy birds who have no fear and no end to their greedy appetite. I watch her skipping over the sea of glass sprawled endlessly in front of us.

Wow, I never realized how BIG the shallow end is! A thought strikes me.  It looks like a giant… mirror!

Indeed it does. The water is barely covering a large shoulder of the sandy beach, turning the entire thing into an enormous mirror – reflecting the wispy and the puffy clouds, the million shades of blue sky with perfect veracity.

I look behind me, and it's there too - sprawled endlessly behind me as well. 

I've been walking on the clouds and I didn't even know it! 

My eyes are glued to the sight, I can’t peel them away even if I wanted to… There is unspeakable glory and unspeakable sadness in this strange union on the edge of the ocean... this unlikely marriage of heaven above and the earth below.

The familiar words bubble up... a promise and a taunt, a prayer and a longing... 


Your will be done...on earth as it is in heaven…

No comments: