Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Place of Love Revolution






The message of love is clear.  Every citizen of the country whose native language is love understands this message without a need for an interpreter.

But in the process of making it public on the sandy beach on this side of the ocean, some rules got broken.  Spelling mistakes were made.

For, you see, when you live on the delicate intersection of two such vastly different worlds, trying to bring them together, trying to spell out with your life this strange bilingual identity, you are bound to make mistakes. You are bound to mix things up.

I sense the Editor and the Critic on the inside, squirming a little. They can’t help themselves, they are so well trained in spotting the mistakes and red-penning the mix-ups.

Strangely this time, perhaps for the first time ever, they appear disarmed, stripped off their red pen and correction fluid, taken in by something much greater than immaculate sentence structure, purist grammar and perfectly followed syntax rules. 

She grins for she knows that no small accomplishment has been achieved here, then trots off, hopping from cloud to cloud, sprawled endlessly along the beach.  I eventually catch up, take her by the hand and we walk back together.  It’s getting late but I have to see the epic message just one more time.

What I discover when I go for that one last look takes me completely by surprise. 

When she started spelling her heart out, hers were the only broken-shell-carved words marking the pristine blank page of the sand.

But now, everywhere I look, all around me, there are countless new messages of love, scribbled in the sand by strangers, turning this glistening heaven-on-earth beach into a giant love letter!

I chuckle, because I know she has no idea that she started a love revolution. 

I hesitate, wondering if I should point it out, draw her attention to it, but something stops me. 

It's better to leave it this way.

It will be our little secret. 





Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.  I John 4:7-8

No comments: