Friday, February 20, 2015

And for Lent I give up...







Call it coincidence, call it providence, but just as I was reflecting on what I could/should/would-like-to give up for Lent – on the morning of Ash Wednesday – I lose my absolutely all-time favorite lime-green iPod ear-buds.

I don’t find this particularly amusing, because I want to have a definite say in what I give up for Lent. I don’t want things just taken away from me without my explicit consent. I feel like I am being picked on for trying to do a very nice thing and everybody knows that’s just not nice.

Too discombobulated to do anything else, I re-trace my path not once by twice, fine-combing my way through the neighborhoods looking for the lost ear-buds as if they were my hearing aid. The weather is wonderful and I am provided ample time to grouse and puzzle over why God who owns everything might be needing my lime-green ear-buds.  As I meditate on all of this and more, I remember various lost articles mentioned in God’s Word.




I notice that all these have a big, blow-out happily-ever-after party at the end, which makes me wonder if I might be unconsciously trying to rig the Scriptures in my favor.

Not that any one of us would ever dream of doing anything as heinous as that.

I share the bad news with our crossing guard who, kind and thoughtful as he may be, simply doesn’t understand why you can’t just go to Wal-Mart and buy a new pair.  A tardy-for-school teen, standing next to him waiting to cross the street overhears my sob-story. He seems to get a kick out of my plight (a tardy slip waiting for him suddenly doesn’t feel like the end of the world).  He is truly empathetic, though, and suggests that I get Beats wireless as a replacement.  

Clearly he is too young or his parents are too rich to comprehend that if I can’t be trusted with a $20 pair ear-buds who in their right mind would risk $200 Beats with me?!!

No comments: