Friday, April 11, 2014

Free But Not Cheap



Like Mo, I foolishly believe that what makes the difference between the deserving and not deserving is a set of syllables comprising the ‘right’ answer.  Consequently I can be easily bamboozled by slick speech, that like empty calories, slides down smoothly.

I exchange free grace for cheap talk.

But grace, even though free, is never cheap. Sadly, we’ve managed to cheapen the word itself by dissecting all life out of it.

For most of us, words are cheap. We say things, but we don’t mean it. On the world market, it’s the most devalued currency, because there is nothing as cheap as words. Like never before in history, we mass-produce words at astounding rate...Our world is a junkyard of words that cost us nothing. 

Other things are cheap.

Substitutes are cheap.

Knock-offs are cheap.

Imitation is cheap.

But there is nothing – nothing – cheap about grace.




At



This… this is an altogether different playing field. All of us are way out of our league here. We don’t belong. If we are honest with ourselves and others, we would realize that though the façade may be different – some deplorable, some impressive – everyone is equally destitute in this place.  Thinking that I can bringing anything to this table – except for maybe my emptiness, and brokenness and hopelessness… a sheer insult.


But the moment I recognize it, the moment I accept it, the moment I come to Him empty-handed – nothing to offer, nothing to lose… I am finally at the doorway into life that is Life indeed...

No comments: