Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Foolish Faith




It may take a little bit of coaxing, it may take a little bit of cajoling and some of us might be willing to loosen up and make a fool of ourselves one day a year.  

If it’s socially acceptable.

If it is approved by our peer group.  

The rest of the year, however, we carefully weigh the cues, making sure we are within bounds. That we don’t step outside the lines. That we fit in. Our radar is on, our antennas are up as we tirelessly scan for the signals.

We all want approval.  We all want acceptance. We all need to be known and loved.  But when I seek to be validated by you, when I crave your acceptance and approval, when I am more concerned about what you think than what God thinks… I have a problem.  For this restless insecurity interferes with my faith signal… it messes up, it scrambles up God’s frequency in my life.

Jesus said,

How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God? John 5:44

How can you believe...?!!

This is tremendously sobering statement.

This is tremendously liberating statement.

It's sobering, because we trade in God - this amazing, indescribable, living, breathing Three-in-One I AM, YAHWEH, Emmanuel, the Alfa and the Omega, the Once-Dead-but-Now-Forever-Alive God - like a used car, for a newer model.

Enough said. I could stop here.

But, this statement is also tremendously liberating because...


It gets me off your hook.

And it gets you off my hook.

I don’t have to worry about you.

You don’t have to worry about me.

All we need to care about is the seal of approval from the audience of One.
And that has already been purchased and secured on our behalf by the price neither you nor I could ever earn or pay.

No comments: