Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Prayer of Unravelling



Years ago I was given a refrigerator magnet that says,

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Wonderful as it may sound, I must challenge that.

Every day, I start my day with talking to God.  I end my day in talking with God and all throughout the day I stitch in and out, through and through, some short, some long conversations with Jesus. 

While I do dishes.  While I scrub toilets.  While I wash mirrors, and write, and respond to e-mails. While I water the garden, and organize papers, tune my son's violin, place orders on Amazon, talk with a friend.

Does this mean my days are a glorious quilt, neatly and perfectly stitched together?

By no means!

In fact, it seems like the more I open up to the Almighty, the more my stitches come apart, the greater unraveling ensues in my life.

I am serious. 

Yesterday was one of those days. Unraveling in the beginning. Unraveling at the end. 

I’ll spare you the details, but what the unraveling brought into focus is the subtle lie expressed in the magnet.

If I pray, if I invite God into my life, my life is less likely to unravel. I will be able to avoid and side-step disappointments, heartbreaks, confusion, frustration, unanswered questions... you name it.

Anyone who has walked with Jesus for any period of time, if they are honest, will tell you that nothing is further from reality.

If anything, it seems the more I open up to God, the more it is revealed to me how desperately I need Him. Every day. Moment by moment. The unravelings happens.  Upheavals happen. Very quickly I discover that I am at the end of my resources with nothing left.  And THAT’s a good place - that's a great place - for God to begin HIS work. 


Unravel me, 
o God, 
so that You and You alone 
can stitch me back together 
by the power of 
Your Spirit, 
by the grace of Your truth,
for Your glory
and Your glory alone. 


I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33

No comments: