Monday, April 07, 2014

No Free Candy





You can’t do that!

Out of bright-blue Sunday morning sky, I was struck by the lightening flashing from the fiery eyes of a four-foot Moses in a GAP t-shirt and khaki cargo shorts.  The disheveled mop of desert-sand hair bouncing around his head, his hands pressed against his tiny hips. The only thing seemed missing was the rod-turned-serpent-turned-back-to-rod.

It was my once-a-month turn to help out in K-5th grade classroom. The usual teachers were not there, but the bag of props and the box of candy were sitting on the desk as if waiting to be put to good use. The moment I lifted the lid, Molly came over and asked if she could have a piece. 

Sure, I said, seeing nothing wrong in letting a child get a piece of candy, especially since she asked so politely.  When her friends saw it, they all wanted some too. So, one by one, they each walked up to me, with their best manners in place asked if they could have a piece. Everyone who asked received.  A line quickly formed, the entire class eager to get their share.  It was then that I got struck by lightening.

Oh.  I look up, the box still in my lap, the lid off.  And what is that that I can’t do?

You can’t give away free candy. 

Is that right?

Yes. Candy has to be earned. You MUST earn your candy.

Really?!!! And how exactly do you earn your candy?

You have to answer questions. He says with a frown, then adds. Correctly. You must correctly answer the questions, or…

Or…?

No candy.

Wow.  That’s strict. I say, the line, temporarily suspended by our interaction, moving again.

Yep. It’s very strict.


For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace. For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ. John 1:16-17


No comments: