Tuesday, April 01, 2014

LOL





I love April Fool’s Day. 

Growing up, we used to strategize for weeks how to pull pranks on each other. From the moment we opened our eyes on April 1st  there was this tingling sense of anticipation. We knew for a fact that we would fool at least one person and that somebody somehow will manage to fool us as well. And it was O.K. We could rest assured that there would be lots of good laughs in store for the day. April 2nd and weeks following were dedicated to retelling the best stories of all this kidding around.  More laughs kept flowing freely.

One day a year it was socially acceptable, even endorsed to be silly and have outrageous fun.

I think I need more than one day for this. I may want a whole week or even a month. As I look around, watch the news and follow social media, there is no question that some of us are taking ourselves way too seriously.  I know I do.  No kidding.

Look what’s happening with the movie Noah!  I haven’t seen it yet, so I’ll refrain from commentaries, but I can’t help but notice that a bunch of people have gotten so seriously serious about it. All so worried about so many things. As if God will fall over off His throne because an atheist took a stab at making a movie about the Great Flood. My thinking, as a former atheist is, Hey, an atheist took a stab at making a movie about the Great Flood!

But, I know their feelings. Exactly. As they say, Been there done that.

So, the International Fools Day comes at the most opportune time. For it seems to me that we all need a bit of comic relief.  Taking a step back and perhaps setting aside a day to fool around. It’s not going to kill us and the world won’t topple off its axis. Plus, it may do both our souls and our bodies some serious good.  After all, Laughter is the best medicine, remember? So, go ahead, LOL today. Don't just text it. 

A word of warning, though. You may get hooked! You may find out that having fun is contagious. That enjoying life is addictive…

Who knows, that might be exactly what we all need.  At least for a day… or a week… or, perhaps, even a whole month.

But, I need to run now... I have some pranks to prepare...

No comments: