Tuesday, April 29, 2014

When Wine Runs Out



No other gospel records this miracle of Jesus – His very first one. 

The occasion is ordinary and the occasion is special.  

A wedding.

Mary, Jesus’ mom is invited. And so is Jesus and His friends.

So far so good.

But something happens at this wedding, something quite embarrassing that triggers a series of behind-the-scene scuttles in futile attempt to remedy the situation.

They ran out of wine.

They ran out of wine?!!!

A torrent of questions forms in my mind.

How is this possible?

Who’s fault is it? Who miscalculated, who failed to plan, to deliver? Whose colossal mess-up is this?!!!

And, below the surface, there is this nagging dilemma:

With Jesus among the guests, 

how could it be that 

anything

anything at all 

could... 

would run out?

With Jesus in my life 

and yours, 

how could it be that 

anything, 

anything at all 

ever  

runs out?

I find myself daily at that place.  I am not just running low on milk.  Or wine. I find I am also running low on patience.  Running low on peace. And wisdom.  Running dangerously low on love and kindness.

Each day I find myself scraping the bottom of my barrel.  But the barrel seems completely empty.

And like Mary, I go to Him empty-handed and say,

We have a problem here.  We are all out... and  have nothing left ... 

No comments: