Tuesday, April 08, 2014

What's So Unnerving About Grace?




The little Moses in camouflage crocks got something right.

There is no such thing as free candy.  There is cost involved. Somebody, somewhere, some time had to pay the price.  The candy box is full because Mr. and Mrs. B went to Wal-Mart and generously spent their hard-earned wages on Lifesavers, and Tootsie Rolls and Blow Pops.  Nestle Crunches. Butterfingers. Baby Ruth. 

Almond Joy!

The candy, indeed, wasn’t free.

When it was brought into the Sunday School classroom, it was intended to be used as a simple motivational tool. A way to encourage children to listen.  To participate. To engage.

But, somehow, somewhere, for the little Moses, the classroom became an open market. A place where we get to exchange currency, goods and services.

The place of learning, the place of discovering the marvel of God's unmerited grace and mercy at Christ's expense turned into the world of rewards. And the world of punishments.

Rules and consequences. Order and lines. The world of black.  And the world of white.

Get the answer right.  Earn the candy.

Get the answer wrong. Tough luck. Try next time.

Simple as that.

You can’t just walk up there, and get it for the asking.  It’s foolish and wasteful.  No lesson learned. No right earned. Sooner or later in life, we all understand this very well.

Molly circles around. It’s the third time she is at the box.  All eyes in the classroom are super-glued on us. 

Is she bold? Is she brazen? Is she stupid??? Does she even know the rules?!!! 

When I say, Yes, again, I know I am pushing my luck. I am messing with their crossing-the-'t's-and-dotting-the-'i's moral construct. Not only have I crossed it, but I am dancing on the top of  the invisible line. 

My mom is going to kill you. Molly warns me as she reaches into the box and gets the wrapped piece of candy with her trembling fingers.

 I guess I am in trouble.

Oh, yes, you are!!

No comments: