Thursday, April 10, 2014

Free For All




The candy box still in my lap, the lid off, I feel my feet squeezed inside Mo’s camouflage Made-on-Sinai crocs. 

Like Mo, I need the clear lines to navigate this life.

Black and white.

Right and wrong.

Do this and you live.

Do this and you die.

Get the answer right - right doctrine, right behavior, right thinking - get the candy.

I think I have it all figured out!

But, then, somebody walks in and either doesn’t know or doesn’t follow my rules.

This is wrong! You can’t do that!! I cry out, quite ignorant, quite blind to a different law at play.  All I know is that my lines are blurred and that I am unhinged. 

Like Mo, I resent the fact that you don’t have to do anything to earn your candy. It’s yours for the asking.  Just like that. No questions asked. It seems so meaningless and wasteful.

Anyone who will is allowed to come.

Not just once. 

Not just twice.

Not even three times.

Everyone is not just allowed but encouraged to endlessly keep coming back for more and more and more?!!???!!!


Letting the guilty go free.

 
Rewarding the undeserving.

It's outrageous! This reckless extravagance unnerves me because I see it as the candy for the soul.  Empty calories. No nutritional value.  No lessons learned.  No purpose served. Just a slap in the face of justice.

No distinguishing between the deserving and not deserving?  Those who earn their candy and…  the rest... ...of... us? 




The question lingers... how does one 

No comments: