Monday, April 28, 2014

I Spy With My Little...





Our family went out for dinner this weekend. It turns out, we share our taste for great Caribbean food with half the population of Central Florida, so we were warned of a long wait before our name was put down on the waiting list.

Armed with a pager and a lot of patience, I suggested a game to help pass the time.

Yea! Let’s play, 'I spy with my little eye'! The kids agreed enthusiastically, and we begun…

I spy with my little eye… something RED! I said, and the list started growing.  The sign.  The car. The frame…the...

We went from spying something red, to something white, to square, to tubular, to…when our son interrupted the game:

Did you hear that?

What?

The bzzz.. bzzzz…?

No.  We all stared at him.

THAT…just now…  did you hear it? The BZZZZZZ…. BZZZZ…?

My husband got the pager out of his pocket and looked at it, but there was nothing. 

No lights and no buzzing. 

He put the pager back in, and we continued with the game.

Then it happened again. We checked the pager.  Nothing.

Something triangular… something….

When we noticed the party of seventeen Latinos who arrived after us being seated, we knew that something was definitely wrong. 

Maybe the buzzer is broken, I said.  Or they forgot about us.

When we checked with the hostess, she said she had paged us several times a while ago.

I told you it was buzzing, our son exclaimed.  It was the BZZZ… BZZZZ of the pager I was hearing!

But there were no lights, my husband said, and nobody else…

Before he could finish, it dawned on us:

Of course! The only musician in the family of tone-deaf people, with his ear carefully trained daily to distinguish the sounds HEARD the pager!  

The rest of us were so absorbed, so distracted with what we were trying to see that our ears were rendered practically useless!


Your ears will hear a word behind you, “This is the way, walk in it,” whenever you turn to the right or to the left.  Isaiah 30:21

 Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 
“Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” 
Then I said, “Here am I. Send me!” 
He said, “Go, and tell this people:
‘Keep on listening, but do not perceive;
Keep on looking, but do not understand.’
“Render the hearts of this people insensitive,
Their ears dull,
And their eyes dim,
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
Hear with their ears,
Understand with their hearts,
And return and be healed.” Isaiah 6:8-10









No comments: