Saturday, January 18, 2014

What's Your Seasoning?




I picked up my daughter's copy of Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein earlier this week.

It was during the time I was reflecting on my bread-baking fiasco and other life fiascoes that seem to happen on rather regular basis - some of our own and some of other people's making. Often resulting in a quite distasteful slop we feel we are forced to eat by spoonfulls.

Clearly, God's written word re-spoken to us by the Spirit of Christ gives us incomparable frame of reference, a text that brings God-sense into our often nonsensical world. A swooping panorama that speaks eloquently and with authority on everything concerning life and godliness.  But sometimes poets in all their quirkiness have a unique ability to lighten up our load, season our soup and bring smile to our faces.

Hope you enjoy the old classic as much as I did:

Sky Seasoning

A piece of sky
Broke off and fell
Through the crack in the ceiling
Right into my soup,
KERPLOP!
I really must state
That I usually hate
Lentil soup, but I ate
Every drop!
Delicious delicious
(A bit like plaster),
But so delicious, goodness sake--
I could have eaten a lentil-soup lake.
It's amazing the difference
A bit of sky can make.


No comments: