Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Secret Super-Power




I savor the moment like dark chocolate slowly melting on my tongue. 

Quiet.

Mmmmmm…. Quiet… on the outside …I linger immersed in this silence which is followed by a startling discovery: 

And it's quiet on the inside too!  I can get used to this.  I think. I feel so… soooo…. The feeling is terribly unfamiliar it takes me some time to rake my brain before I find the right word:

Unrushed! That’s it.  I feel so unrushed.  The sensation is off-the-charts energizing, that I think I can paint the entire exterior of the house in an afternoon.

I can’t remember when was the last time I felt energized and for a brief moment I consider whether I should in fact pick up the paint and the brushes. But since brush rhymes with rush, I dismiss the idea.

I wish I could swim in this ocean of rest for the rest of my life.

God? Is this... You? I whisper lest I disturb the peace of the moment.

Suddenly I don’t care what happens with the yarn and the needles, the failures of my past and failures of my present swallowed up by a loom much bigger than either. As long as I can remain in this…peace-rest-unrush-Presence that both brings me to my knees and lifts me up at the same moment.

It’s in that very moment that our door bell rings and I jump startled so high, I almost hit the ceiling.


For thus the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel, has said, In repentance and rest you will be saved, in quietness and trust is your strength. Isaiah 30:15

No comments: