Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pure Joy




Our timing was impeccable.  Or so we thought.

There were compulsory naps that afternoon to ensure maximum endurance for the late night ahead. We arrived at the park shortly after 8 PM and immediately located Hogwarts on the map. Why waste time on anything else?

We made our way to the back, the closer we got the harder it became to keep up with the kids. And then, we were there!

There was Hogwarts Express to the right. And Hogsmead. Ollivander Wand Shop. Everywhere we looked, there was something or someone we recognized.  So much to take in. Absorb. Touch and examine.

Our resident Harry Potter expert suddenly stops, spins around the middle of the Diagon Alley, hands outstretched, head tossed back, announcing both to no one in particular and to the entire world:

 This… this is… pure joy!

I look at her, and can’t agree more.  In that moment, she, herself, is the embodiment of pure joy.

We all savor the moment… a tiny glimpse, a shadow, a mouthful of what heaven is going to feel like when we finally, finally walk through its gates. For real. Stammering wonder-struck into this incredible world that is being prepared for us All the battles with Voldemort and Death Eaters behind us. All the mysteries unfolded. All the loves purified. All the fears and tears erased forever.

We marinate in this foretaste-joy for the next couple of hours. Total of about 120 minutes. And then we realize our capacity for enjoyment has reached its limit. 


Alas, this discovery was made about 30 minutes too late. 

Don’t let this throw you. You trust God, don’t you? Trust me. There is plenty of room for you in my Father’s home. If that weren’t so, would I have told you that I’m on my way to get a room ready for you? And if I’m on my way to get your room ready, I’ll come back and get you so you can live where I live.  John 14:1-4

No comments: