Thursday, January 23, 2014

When the Stitches Come Apart



I would like to learn to knit.  She responds calmly. NOT astrophysics, and not speaking Chinese – at least not yet.  I don’t want to learn to play oboe. However…

The little 'h' word brings a whiff of hope into my shattered world … before it’s shattered again:

However, she continues, I might be open to learning how to thole my way out of my mother’s antediluvian diversion tactics.  

She waits for the last sentence to work its coup de grace magic before she concludes:

The question is, are you going to help me or not?

It’s that nightmarish moment when your colossal failure of the past meets your colossal failure of the present.  
In this split-second instant all the unmet expectations of my parents crash into the sure-to-be-unmet expectations of my children.  And I realize I am doomed. I am an impossibly failing parent just as I was an impossibly failing child.  I watch in horror as my life unravels in both directions and there is no hope in sight.

The no-hope-in-sight place reminds me of something I tend to forget every day. 

And need to learn and relearn anew every single day.


God! Are You there? What are You doing to me? Don’t You care that my stitches are coming apart? I am unraveling from the front and from the back. Is there any bloody mercy here? 

No comments: