Friday, October 18, 2013

Finger Food for the Foolish




Every day, in fact, several times a day, I feed our guinea pig a fresh vegetable snack.  He always has his regular food and water inside his cage, easily accessible whenever he wants them.  But treats are special.

Over time we have developed our little routine.  As soon as he hears my footsteps, he knows the time is near.  This is a cue to get ready. He calls out to me and I respond. He knows my voice.  It is the Voice of Food.  He even recognizes the sound the refrigerator door opening.  It is the Sound of Food. He perks his little ears when he hears the water running in our kitchen sink as I wash the vegetables.  It’s the gentle Gurgle of Food.

Clearly this piggy is finely tuned to the great symphony of food in our household.

By the time the snack is in my hand, ready to be delivered into his bowl, he is clambering up the sides of his wire cage.

I open the door, place the food in the bowl and point,

There, Piggy, there’s your food.

He stops. He tilts his little head. He looks at my finger.

No, silly piggy! Food is over THERE! I point more emphatically towards the corner of his cage.  But, my pointing makes him stare at my finger all the more.  He comes near and starts nibbling at my fingernail.

You dumb, stupid pig! That’s NOT FOOD.  That’s MY FINGER! By this time, I am frustrated since it happens every day.

I tell you, he is not the paintbrush with the most bristles inside his head.

I slam the door shut and eventually he finds his way to carrots and celery, romaine and apples.

I shake my head, marveling at the incredible inanity of the dumb creature.

Then, I realize that I am not much different from him.


For, just like him, I am finely tuned to all things food - for my stomach as well as for the nourishment of my soul.  I know the food source and the sustenance it gives. But more often than not, just like my piggy, I find myself staring at the finger that points to the Food – in books and blogs, other people’s lives and Facebook links, expecting the wise advice, the well crafted words of a story to provide what my heart craves for.  But, they are not food themselves, just a finger that points to the One and Only Source of true food that alone can satisfy the deepest hunger of our souls.

Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.’ John 6:35


Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

No comments: