Saturday, October 12, 2013

Where The *ell Is The Bad Word?!!



So, how did the Ben Franklin project presentation go? I ask our son, having anxiously waited for him to come home after working so hard for days on a school project.

It was okay.

What do you mean, ‘okay’.  I thought it would be awesome.  You did such a great job and I loved those few finishing touches we added to the report. What did the teacher think of it?

I didn’t submit  it.

You didn’t submit  it?!!! All that work and you didn’t… Why would you not submit it?!!!

There were bad words in it.

Bad words?

Yea.  Remember, I asked you to edit it… and you… you put bad words in it.

My eyes pop wide open. I know I didn’t put any ’bad’ words. I don't even use bad words in conversation... well, most of the time. I wreck my brain searching for the culprit. Finally, one syllable pops into my mind, that rimes with ‘well’.

You gotta be kidding me… It was perfect for the context.  It was a figure of speech. I used it to make the story more juicy, more descriptive, because it was kind of bland... At least  in my opinion...  

Well, your ‘juicing it up’ made it unacceptable for a sixth grade report. End of story.

You are serious. Do we need to edit out my edits from the report?

No. It’s all over now. He pauses for a moment, weighing his predicament. 

But, it’s alright, Mom. Thanks for trying to help. 

No comments: