Thursday, October 03, 2013

The Divine Privilege of Dog-Doo Disposal



There is more to us than what fits a label.

Apostle Paul begun to understand this after his murderous mission to eliminate followers of Jesus got divinely intercepted on the road to Damascus.

He realized then that what he thought was the best thing about him turned out to be the worst thing.  And what he despised and wanted to eliminate and annihilate, well, it turns out, that One was the key to the lock, the missing piece, the password code to the Reality Paul so earnestly wanted to grasp 

In that moment, all his bragging rights fell off along with the scales of his blinded eyes, like old post-it notes.

 …all the things I once thought were so important are gone from my life. Compared to the high privilege of knowing Christ Jesus as my Master, firsthand, everything I once thought I had going for me is insignificant—dog dung. I’ve dumped it all in the trash so that I could embrace Christ and be embraced by him. Philippians 3:7-8

Dog poop? Paul? Seriously?!!! Your heritage? Your credentials? Your impeccable record of Law-keeping? Your reputation? Your wealth? Your life of ease and comfort? It’s all a dirty diaper... a dog doo to you?


I am well familiar with dog-stuff. It's a part of life of a dog. It goes with the territory. But, I can tell you, it's a real problem when the dog rolls in it, when he actually goes back and eats it! - or when my children or I step into it and it sticks. 

I think you get the point. 

It's as if Paul is telling us, 

All that stuff you think it's so great - your degree, your reputation, your resume, your impressive job title - don't let it stick to you. Treat it like dog poop - off out of the way with it - so you can stick to Jesus. 



No comments: