Monday, October 14, 2013

The Original Copy




I got it at some garage sale awhile ago for fifty cents. The woman tried to convince me that I got a great deal,

It’s the original copy,  she claims as she slips the two quarters into her pocket, pointing at the mass produced image pawned on the kitsch market as art.

I nod politely, ignoring her comment. She doesn't need to know that I don’t care for her cheap print.  What I am really after is the frame.  Simple old wooden frame of sturdy construction. Somewhat beat up, few dings and scratches only increasing its beauty in my eyes.  She tries to cover those up with her fingers as she is handing me the picture, I guess fearing I might change my mind if I notice the imperfections.

 The exchange completed, I go home. I know exactly the true original artwork created by somebody I know and love, the frame is destined to show off.

The only thing missing is the matting.

Then a somewhat sacrilegious thought occurs to me,

Maybe I can paint over the print and use it as matting?   

I bought the print. It is mine and I am free to do with it whatever I see fit. I hesitate for a moment before I reach out for the painting supplies. 

No comments: