Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Free At Last



Ever so slowly, I start lifting the frame of the trundle bed, holding my breath. After each minuscule movement I stop and evaluate, making sure I am not doing more harm than good by trying to help. Then I proceed cautiously again.

I know that inside the piggy’s head, he is in a time warp and eternity has gone by. I’ve been in the same stuck place much too often - feeling helpless, praying, questioning, waiting for God to move, to rescue, to do something… ANYTHING… giving up.

I am doomed and nothing – NOTHING - is ever going to change.

But I’ve never seen it from this perspective. 

The piggy doesn’t realize when the bed is moved enough for him to get out.  He just lies there, staring at me though the scaffolding as if he expects me to dismantle the whole thing and take it to the MetalMan for recycling before he can be set free. The path to freedom is narrow, yet more than sufficient for him to escape.


Holding the frame, I call him out and eventually, he gets up, still unsure on his little feet, still uncertain that his ordeal has truly ended.  There is a bowl heaping with lettuce and carrots and tomatoes inside his clean cage, a pile of Timothy hay and fresh water.  He stands at the open door hesitating for a second, than hops in, bounds and popcorns from one corner to the next, finally settles down next to the salad and starts munching away.  


Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, ‘You will become free’?” Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin.  The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:31-36

No comments: