Thursday, October 24, 2013

Made-To-Order Children




Our sixth grader came home this week with the following school assignment:  

What are some ethical issue accompanying made-to-order children?

Made-to-order children?!!! Like made-to-order furniture or Build-a Bear... children?!!! I gasp. The colossal moral conundrum instantly assails all my faculties while a pair of eyes rest calmly on my face. Unperturbed, he waits for me to lead the way. This is not the issue for him to grapple with… at least not yet. 

This is purely academic, right? I ask, not quite ready for a Huxley's Brave New World reality, or some other version of a sci-fi scenario where human babies can be made to their parents’ specifications... an assembly-line, pick-your-own-flavor kid from a tube.

I am about to jump on the high horse and bear into those parents who would be presumptuous enough to choose the exact spelling of the genetic script of their progeny… cherry-picking syllables that make their own lives easy and convenient, their job of parenting smooth and undemanding...

Those selfish and controlling parents who hide inside a protective bubble, who want to ensure that their children’s future is wildly successful, sealed against failure and heartbreak, fear and disappointment...

But, even as the words form in my brain, I realize that even though I may not be able to manipulate the genes I still desperately want to manipulate the circumstances and my children’s choices to mold them according to my personal preferences, my idea of what's best for them... I want to bubble-wrap their minds and hearts inside carefully controlled environment where they are kept safe and happy and our lives are easy and stress-free…

This is more complicated than it first appears…  I clear my throat… A lot more complicated in one sense… and yet, in another it’s quite simple…

No comments: