Monday, July 29, 2013

Growth - New Growth New Problems



Laying prostrate on the ground, I realize I’ve never seen our yard from this perspective.  The blades of grass closed in over my head, and suddenly I’m faced with a problem I haven’t encountered before.  

I could lose our children in this grass, not to mention our guinea pig George!

The scary thought is trailed by another – actually quite invigorating one.

I get to do some REAL gardening work now! I get to MOW like all real gardeners!

For years I’ve watched all our neighbors mow their lawns weekly, while our lawn-mower sat idle in the garage, buried under the layered mountain of miscellaneous junk since the day we moved into the house. The old owners left it behind since they thought we would need it.  But, once the yard fell under my care, they were proven quite wrong. I never found any use for it at all, since there was nothing – not even weeds – that grew in our yard.

That is, until today…

I jump up and wade my way through the tall grass towards the garage. Undaunted by the junk-yard mountain, I plow my way over and under outgrown toys, bags of aluminum cans, spilled guinea pig shavings until I spot the wheel of the dusty red self-propelled Toro.

It takes me several hours before I am actually able to start it, but once the engine revs up, I feel strangely empowered despite the deafening noise and the old machine-oil burning stench.

I am ready to roll. 

No comments: