Monday, July 01, 2013

Growth - Anyone Can Become a Gardener



Not only the vegetable garden, but the entire yard looks better than it has in years...Soon I may even need to mow the lawn. When we first moved in, I didn't realize there existed such a thing as 'mowing the lawn"! My neighbors look happy as they bid their good-byes, thanking me for a great party and complimenting me profusely on my raving gardening success.

I know I can't take any credit for either, and keep referring to the Gardener, insisting it's all his doing. And, if he can make me - a dark-brown thumb, city girl - a gardener, then he can make anybody a gardener.  There is hope for everyone! They listen politely, but from the look on their faces, I can tell they think I have spent too much time in the sun.

After everyone leaves, the Gardener and I finish cleaning up. When the dishes are put away and the citronella  candles extinguished we sit down.  He pours out some wine and hands me a glass.

I gaze into the dark-red liquid and suddenly feel quite overwhelmed. I search for words to express what I feel, but every one seems woefully inadequate.  So I decide to keep it simple.

I thank him for all he has done, and as I say this, I realize I am honestly grateful not only for the blooming tomatoes and the incredible party, but also for the manure mountain delivery, for the National Planting Day disappointment, the old, beat up garden hose and above all for his daily presence in my house and in my yard.

I know that without all of the latter there would be no blooming tomatoes in my yard and nothing to celebrate with my neighbors.


No comments: