Friday, July 19, 2013

Growth - When Silence Speaks Louder Than Words



I look down and see the idle, worn-out garden hose next to my feet. I stare at it for something like an eternity, the tornado of questions swirling inside my mind and my heart: 

Why bother? Why bother at all if you can’t tell the difference between the real ficus and the fake…? If miracles can be choreographed, manufactured, packaged and distributed like cans of chicken noodle soup out of some miracle-cranking factory ‘out there’… without hearing the Gardener’s voice...without a hose and a shovel… and a manure pile? Without the death and the burial of the tiny seeds… ?

The deafening silence of the sky above and the earth below is filled with the litany of my complaints.

I pause suddenly realizing something I haven’t considered before.  

What if…in their silence…they might be saying…something… but I am unable to hear it from all the noise I am making?

The thought startles me stiff.

I look at the sky again… 

Blue.  Big. Deep. Speckled with puffy white clouds shaped like a clown riding a pony and a decapitated rabbit chasing it.

I look around my yard.  

The azalea bushes. The maple trees.  The cilantro and basil.  Tomatoes and squash. The green tufts of grass under my feet. The sparkly drops of water trickling out of the garden hose next to my feet.

Taking it all in, I gasp for I realize that what the wordless blue sky and the quiet earth below have accomplished... 

have birthed, and 

nurtured, and 

grown..  

...in their silence...

... is more, much more than I ever have with all my chatter. 

The revolutionary thought feels like a strange mix of a ruthless kick in my gut and a tender hug around my shoulder. 

No comments: