Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Shake It Off







I find the four-letter word profoundly offensive.  

I can’t believe my husband even thought much less said the word in my hearing!

Just…???? Just the ear-buds???!!!

How dares he speak of my precious like that?? The repugnant word should never ever have been used in conjunction with my lime-green iPod ear-buds.

For, you see, these are not some ordinary run-of-the-mill Wal-mart clearance sale ear-buds.

No, sir. Not at all.

These are my very VERY special ear buds.

They are my highway to sanity ear-buds.

They are my annoying-noise cancelling direct-line-to-heaven ear-buds.

They are my vending machine of instantaneous peace and happiness delivered on demand like Netflix in the midst of the chaos of my life ear buds.

They are my anchor of tranquility inside the relentless torrent of demands, problems and emergencies filling my world. 

They are my oasis of calm and joy in the tumultuous sea of life’s depressing realities…

They are my fire-exit, a sure escape route from the madness around me into a carefully crafted playlist of songs that make me forg…

I almost choke on the last word because, smack out of the bright-blue sky, suddenly I am struck by a thought soo outlandish… soo unbelievable…. Way waaaaay too ridonculous to consider…

I want to shake the silly thought off… just shake it off…


But for some utterly inexplicable reason, I don’t seem to be able to.

No comments: