Monday, October 22, 2012

This Jesus is for everyone. Everywhere. Even for people with bad haircuts...


I am not sure if I know what the answer is for you, I am thinking, but for me perhaps the best answer right now is to jump out of the window, because this conversation is going in the direction I do not like.  Of course, I don’t say that.  But, I certainly hope he doesn’t expect me to give him the answer for the meaning and purpose of his life! I am just beginning to try  to re-con-figure out my own! And yet...

It’s getting dark and stormy clouds are gathering up on the horizon.  We watch an amazing light show of lightening flashes in silence for a few minutes, the rumble of thunder drowned by the noise of the train. I wonder if the display might be a cue from this God I barely know. So, against my natural reservations, I decide not to take any chances and jump in. 

Well, I start hesitating, feeling incredibly awkward as I consider how to continue. I am not sure if this is going to make any sense to you…I am still very much sorting things out myself. It’s all very new to me too, … I want to say, About few hours new, but decide to skip that part. So, I proceed to share the disjointed snippets of my story and how it collided with the Jesus-story, and how everything I'd believed was right-side-up is actually upside down, and the other way around. It's a messy,poorly wrapped  package of my personal story and few simple highlights of His life-death-life-can-you-believe-He-said/did-that?!!! story as recorded in this old book I used to dismiss and edit wearing my critics hat on. 

He is listening intently, soaking up every word.  I talk about restlessness, and resistance until all resistance was used up, and forgiveness and the cross.  And going from keeping a safe distance, standing at arms length, watching from the outside, to jumping both feet in, head-over-heals, in way over my head… As I am talking I am thinking how way over my head I am in that very moment. I need Jesus right now, while I am speaking, to help me connect the dots for this guy, who looks so lost and hungry and thirsty…
  
I believe, I sheepishly conclude my implausible story, that this Jesus is for everyone. Everywhere. Even for people with bad haircuts I feel absolutely no personal affinity towards.  I skip the last sentence, feeling quite convicted about my petty, small-minded, small-hearted preferences. And with quite a shock, I recognize the miracle of the moment, for without Jesus there would be absolutely no way I would ever talk with this man, but I decide to spare him this detail also.  I shake my head, for I know how strange the whole story sounds, and look back at him.  He looks me in the eye and says,

So, what do I need to do?

I feel the pain of my jaw hitting the dirty train floor.  That’s it?!!! Just like that?!!! 'What do I need to do?'No arguments? No debates? No sneering? No scoffing? No agonizing?  I stare at him in utter disbelief, but he seems quiet, sincere and actually waiting for me to answer his question.  Part of me wants him to slow down, to reconsider, to think about it… this is a serious decision. In reality, I feel scared spitless and utterly unworthy to be a part of it at all...  

The faraway storm that was brewing on the horizon has moved closer.  He closes the window shut and we move back to the compartment. 

No comments: