Friday, October 12, 2012

The One Unforgivable Sin


There is only one sin God can not forgive...

It was a beautiful day.  The night’s storm has scrubbed the streets and the sidewalks clean, which were glistening in the light filtered through the branches of the trees shading the restaurant. The waitress who’d brought us the coffee was now slowly wiping the table next to ours and tidying up the chairs. My ears perked up. 

Only one?!!! I was a dry sponge, eager to learn as much as I could about this fascinating Being I didn’t believe even existed just few days ago.  What is He like?  What does He love? What does He hate? Does anything tick Him off? Can I really know Him?!!!

If it’s only one, I am in good shape. I chuckled with a huge sigh of relief.   I’m sure I’m not going to win this reverse cosmic lottery and be guilty of THAT one.  What is it?

Self-righteousness, my friend replied with unreadable expression.

SELF-RIGHEOUSNESS?!!?!!  

The world might as well have fallen off its hinges. I couldn’t believe what I just heard. How can something that seems so right turn out to be so wrong?!!! All my life, I tried so hard to be right, to the point that became the core, the very essence of my being. You could look me up in the dictionary under ‘self righteous’. I was proud of being proud! Even if I wanted to, there was nothing – nothing ­– I could do to change this. This is who I AM.
 
For the first time in my life I had a problem I was completely powerless to solve.  The weight of the revelation sat on me like a mountain of hopelessness.  Awake or asleep, alone or in a crowd, the world as I knew it – the ignorant fool’s paradise - was crumbling before my very eyes.

I knew I was doomed.

No comments: