Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Those who build their houses on barrels of TNT should not play with the matches


In the subsequent days and weeks, I was relentless. If there was a skeptic’s question, I’ve asked it.  If there was an atheist’s argument, I defended it.  I laughed and scoffed at their answers, which generally went back to the Bible, they quoted as if it was God’s Word.

Can’t you think with your own heads?!!! Can you tell me anything worthwhile that doesn’t come from this old, moldy book?!!!

But, they seemed all too content to defer their own wisdom to the wisdom of the well-worn out, scribbled upon and underlined pages of the ancient writings I’d always considered a compilation of far-fetched myths and legends.

But, I wanted to… I  needed to know the truth.

We disagreed on just about every topic we discussed, but, surprisingly, despite the disagreements, I actually enjoyed being with them.  Even liked these people who were an embodiment – joyful, carefree, loving embodiment of everything contrary to what I believed as true, important and valuable.  It felt like a head-on collision of diametrically opposite value systems. However, I also saw inner consistency between what they said and how they lived.  Their outrageously crazy system was consistent within itself and with the outrageously crazy life of love and joy they lived in Jesus’ name. One day, I even told them that if all this talk about God and Jesus was true, it was worth giving your whole life to it.  If this message truly comes from the Messenger they claimed was the only one worthy of worship, then every person on this planet must hear it.

Of course, at the time, I thought I was safe from the implication of such claims, because I knew it wasn’t true. 

It couldn’t be true!

For if it was true, I would have been wrong my entire life.  And that’s simply impossible.  How could I be wrong if my life worked?!! I was a self-made success.  I had a future.  I had my dreams, and my plans, and my goals.  And I just wasn't interested in some deity messing with them.

No comments: